Fabricated is released today.
From the publishers:
'Fabricated tells the story of 3D printers, humble manufacturing machines that are bursting out of the factory and into schools, kitchens, hospitals, even onto the fashion catwalk. The magic happens when you plug a 3D printer into today's mind-boggling digital technologies. Add to that the Internet, tiny, low cost electronic circuitry, radical advances in materials science and biotech and voila! The result is an explosion of technological and social innovation.
Fabricated is an informative and fast-paced exploration of 3D printing technologies and the people who use them. You'll take a journey to design studios, businesses, schools, and cutting-edge research labs. Based on hundreds of hours of interviews, Fabricated explores the promise and peril of a 3D printed present and future:
- Businesses will be liberated from the tyrannies of economies of scale.
- Factories and global supply chains will shrink, finding themselves closer to their customers.
- The law, already reeling from digital media, will once again need to be redefined.
- Our environment might breathe easier in a 3D printed economy, or it could choke on a rising tide of plastic.
- 3D printed digital and intelligent, adaptive materials will change our relationship with the physical world.'